Sunday, April 7, 2013

India Fashion Week

I recently learned that India Fashion Week was in March! Unfortunately, it was right after I left. Still, since the various fashion weeks of 2013 happened just last month (a few while I was in Europe), I thought I'd take a look at what is on-trend in Indian fashion.

 Here are some of my favorites:




Though slightly westernized, overall the clothing is traditionally Indian in appearance. However, according to this New York Times article, the emergence of traditional Indian clothing during Fashion Week is a new occurrence. Apparently it used to be much more westernized, but recently designers have been embracing the more traditional side of Indian fashion.

So what about Europe's fashion weeks? The pictures below show some designs from Paris Fashion Week in early March. Though at first glance they do not seem traditional, there is something slightly retro about the designs. The print in the first dress below and the cut of the shirt remind me of some of the styles from the 70s and 80s on display at the V&A. Not traditional--but perhaps still harking back to previous trends?





No comments:

Post a Comment