Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chaiyya Chaiyya & Bombay Dreams

I am officially back from India! Though I will miss lime soda and dosa, I am happy to be back in a place where people obey traffic laws.

Since I returned, I have been watching a lot of Bollywood dance numbers on Youtube. I love the quick costume and set changes and the intricate jewelry in all the songs. One song I particularly love is "Chaiyya Chaiyya" from Dil Se.., a 1998 Bollywood movie. You can watch the number here.

I love that in this number the main guy (King Khan) wears a very 90s-looking red jacket while the rest of the dancers are wearing very traditional costumes. The combination goes to show how even in Bollywood films, the costumes are influenced by the popular fashions of the time.

Even more interesting about this number is that it was used in Bombay Dreams, the Andrew Lloyd Webber-produced Bollywood musical that closed less than a year after it opened on Broadway. I am a fan of Bombay Dreams because it uses a few songs from originally Bollywood movies, like "Chaiyya Chaiyya." I am intrigued by this crossover of Broadway and Bollywood, since as far as I know no other show on Broadway has embraced the Bollywood theme as much as this one. Although Bombay Dreams did not receive very good reviews, it still managed to gain a few Tony nominations, including best costume. You can see the elaborate costumes from the show below:




1 comment: